Thursday, March 4

Thursday!~`'-'`-_/'```'\__|'`--C

In case you were wondering, the long line next to the title is a snake.
Today was a wonderful day. I went to Sacramento for the rally and I thought it was powerful and informative. I wrote a bit there afterward that I figured I would put in the blog because this is a blog that is what you are supposed to do in a blog, I suppose.

Among the greatness I have seen today is the squirrel that, after approaching very close to me, began to chow down on an apple core, talking audible bites while holding it sideways just like I would have.
Today I went to a rally in Sacramento in support of the concept of higher education. I found the rally itself to be a distinct profile of the exact reason for why public education is so very important. The only speakers to have any strong impact were the ones who presented real knowledge and insight. The necessity of our analysis of the different relationships and connections that determine our social situation was enforced with vigor and with good reason. Today, the necessity of widespread education was presented as the only possibility for allowing democracy to continue.
The very distinguishing characteristic of humanity is our capability to deconstruct our situation and to find meaning and meaningful conceptual relationships in every aspect of our lives. The very proof of this lies in the existence of art and its ability to force Heidegger's concept of a "world" upon us - ie: it is the job of the artist to construct realms in which to explore the different conceptual relationships that exist for us. These exploration of these realms is instigated by the works of art themselves. (I'm in a philosophy of aesthetics class and everything is overlapping these days)
The ability to understand these conceptual relationships is inherent in humanity. However, like all skills, it must be practiced. Our ability to thrive as humans reaching our full potential, namely by understanding and deconstructing social institutions in order to shift and mold our constructions until we have finally achieved an ideal state of equality and harmony, depends solely on the extent to which we continue to educate ourselves - on the extent to which we continue to practice understanding the conceptual relationships present in the world around us. There is nothing more important.
----
Nothing that is, except for our show!
I had a few ideas. One I discussed briefly with a couple of you, involves the idea of loops. I prefer to move around in my life in loops. In the case of the loop, every scene is new. I think of hikes when I think of loops, and when I think of a hike/loop, I think of a bit of a break or vacation from the reality of everyday life. Trees are a particularly good catalyst for feeling away from it all, but the hike loops in their own right makes for a sort of suspended reality in which you are free to explore as slowly or as quickly as you like, knowing you will not be coming back. It almost acts as a costume - as an allowance for breaking with your normal habits of self, as a distancing of yourself from your self. It forces careful examination, though on the downside can also can allow for quick movement back to headquarters of real life with little consideration of the scenery of the loop, being our art.
This is just an idea begging for synthesis with other individual projects in order to gain some cohesion. All of our stuff can come together so incredibly well as long as we consider each other's ideas, and I think we need to work towards that.

Another one.
We had discussed a cave. I was thinking things hanging from the ceiling. At first they were strips of fabric, shifting to circular dangleys, shifting to: Imagine long thin light shafts - maybe two - three inches in diameter, hung from the ceiling densely enough to make a space feel full. All of them ranging in how far they reach down, shifting together wavelike, almost in a Tara Donovan bulbous cup stuff. Some would be long and low so you might have to crouch down to stay underneath the lights. Then you move and they slowly shrink until you can comfortable walk underneath the lights that are all still hanging above your head, until you move more and they press down on you again. It might be possible to make them so that people can put their heads/torsos in the individually hanging bulb world and be surrounded down to your waste or something with light shafts. In the dark, this might be wild.

This is a lot.. I cant help but think about the show though. ITS ON MY MIND! Lets do it. Boo yah.
Educate the State!
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhO-a9Na6yRox9MH1p2No6TJE3oVVfPK-ZdIQX_Mo_DyF_oiXHpKDqO6VCL1S0_aaBbZ6w4XhPVqguXWJbnKT147cBMSRXbr2H04kF5IXRGzBsJkSH0KB6Ew8aqgUAu1ooDwbRaN5VXDmG9/s800/tara+donovan+003.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment