
So, the first time I did this project, it was my freshman year at Cal. I was still an Art History major, and had only been thinking about doubling in Practice of Art. The project was for John's Art 8 final, which was based on Entropy, Spirituality and Phenomenon. I had already started working in the realm of the taboo, and wanted to delve in sexuality. For Entropy, it is the idea that semen is a biological substance, and watching the change and decomposition over time. For Phenomenon, the idea of the one time orgasm, and how each orgasm is different depending if you are with someone or not, who they are if you are with someone, and where you were. For Spirituality, it is two-fold: on one hand, how some people say when they orgasm they see God, and where the term Ecstasy comes from, and on the other, how Fundamentalists believe that when you masturbate, you will go to hell, so in their eyes, I have sent 35 men to hell.
When the topic of this project came along, I wanted to see what the different levels were for pushing Art in different directions, I wanted to discuss the idea of what belongs in gallery space, and what does not, pushing the idea of different media. It was also a personal project for me in that I wanted to "come" full circle and do something that brought me back to my beginnings. This piece will also be in the Senior Show (Which my parents will see, so I am still unsure about how that will work out). Other comments that I had received that I hadn't thought about also discussed the same idea that had been in the project paper about hiding into the environments, and how the cum literally hides into the canvas and merely looks like a stain. (And I know a few people who have gone up to feel it so far).
No comments:
Post a Comment