Sunday, May 2

Last Entry







This is my final entry for our ART 138 blog. Semester went so quickly… Since the beginning of this class I’ve being looking forward to work on my case. I had many different ideas prior I physically entered this glass cube. I perceive TRANSLATION as a type of transformation – change in form or shape or appearance; dictionary also describes translation as a type of uniform movement. With all said I wanted to transform my case, and through my installation express movement, growth, change, and the evolutionary processes that we see in nature. I wanted to introduce dirt (as a material) into my project (s) since the Faux Real, being influenced by Walter De Maria and seeing Earth Room photographs posted on blog and after visit to Marina Highlands I thought I should, must use the dirt. The idea was to create two parallel planes - the sky and earth with floating objects (eggs – evolution) and mirror movement/ activity happening in both planes. With the shadows I did tried to address and fill the void between two worlds. I wanted my case to be visually exciting, I want the visual drama, I wanted people to ask questions and find their own answers. I always feel uneasy when I should describe the concept/idea, because I feel this is where the “selling” part comes to play, it also sets the tone prescribing my audience to view art in a certain way. Most of all I am afraid to be insincere. I think we have enough insincerity I everyday life, politics, societal values, etc. I think if people passing by my case will slow down or take a photo I’ve achieved something… Also I want to mention that I enjoyed this class tremendously. I’ve met so many talented people and working together on Faux Real was fun. This is my last semester but I hope to stay in touch with you all. Best, N.
P.S Don't forget to download photos from online album for your portfolios;)
Translation

2 comments:

  1. Natalie it was great to be in class with you! Could you tell me the link to your webphotos again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://picasaweb.google.com/design9er/ART138InstallationShow#

    ReplyDelete